plays a key role in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and successes of your digital marketing
efforts. When a user type search keywords or queries in search engines, the search engine tries to fetch the best possible results in order of priority. If search engine find indexed content matching the search keywords in more authoritative site, it will send it to the top (first page or closer to first page) even though it find great content pages with low domain authority.
This makes domain authority a key factor in attracting substantial web traffic, but attaining a high DA score is not easy.
Content is king but it must be compared with the website contents matching domain authority websites. Therefore, fail safe ways to increase domain authority of a website is very important to draw volumes of web traffic through organic searches.
Why Search Engines Prefer Domain Authority?
To understand why domain authority is given so much importance is to look within you with an example. Imagine you want to know about the possible reason of a link failure of a satellite after it was successfully put in its orbit. Where do you go for? And whom will you trust? Will you trust a blogger, journalist or a scientist from ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization). You got it right. The answer would be ISRO. It may be the case that other articles have well explained documents on it but, the authority (trust) lies with ISRO in this case. This is the exact reason why a domain authority is important. The more you write on a particular subject, the more authority you acquire for that subject.
Factors Affecting Domain Authority
There are many factors which influence domain authority, but here is a list of few most important factors that definitely have positive impact:
1. Domain Age
Older domain generally has higher domain authority (DA). With the age of domain, domain authority increases. Age of domain is determined by the search engines from a date and time where it has first detected contents which can be indexed.
- Be patient and give some time to your domain to achieve high domain authority.
- Book your domain for a longer period of time (from 2-10 years). It signals that the domain is associated with a long term business.
2. Domain Trust
Domain trust is a term coined by Moz which measures the trust score based on 100 different parameters. Any search engines including Google does not trust a new domain.
Few of the trust parameters that are extremely important are:
- Expiry Date: Domains with close expiry dates are trusted less than domains with longer expiry date. This comes from the notion that longer expiry date translates to steady and reliable business.
- Contact Details: Websites without a contact page are not trusted by search engines and hence command low trust. Website must have a contact page with contact address, contact number and email address. If the email address matches with the email address in domain registration details, it will increase the trust.
- Back links: Search engines are basically a link analysis algorithm. All the above parameters can score a few points for you but what matters most is the backlinks not just in numbers but also in quality. Backlink is an inbound link to your website coming from external domain. Someone link to you when they trust you or recommend you. In this way all inbound links (i.e. backlinks) are a vote for your website. The more backlinks you acquire, your website will get receive more authority. Linked pages will get page authority and linked domain will receive high domain authority points.
- Social Media Engagement: Website activities are carefully monitored by search engines these days as the activity count is directly related to improvement in domain authority and pagerank. Today, social media is a very powerful force of in bound web traffic. All good businesses are also dealing with social platform do social bookmarking. The active presence on social platform increases the chances of your being found and engaged. Websites with little or no social media activities are less likely to command high domain authority. Please be active on social media platform to increase domain authority chances.
- Bounce Rate: Search engine algorithms have become very intelligent. It measures the bounce rate of your pages. Low bounce rate will give high pagerank and ultimately it will help you increase domain authority of your website.
- Internal link structure: Search engines check for backlinks as well as internal links to determine which page with the website is more important than others. Website pages must be cross linked as much as possible. It increases the overall pagerank and domain authority of a website. See how Wikipedia interlinking pages and command a domain authority of 100/100.
3. Domain Size
Domain size in related to the number of pages a domain hosts. Websites with more the numbers of pages are bigger and command high domain authority. Websites with few pages will not increase domain authority. Therefore it is important to write content pages on the domain to increase domain authority. It is a general practice therefore to include blogs / news / events pages with any business website to attract more traffic and hence potential customers.
Write regularly high quality content and keep on adding pages.
4. On-Page SEO
On-page SEO is an important method of optimization. It has a very important role in improving your DA from low to high.
On-page SEO includes many technical factors like:
Title plays the most important role in web page. The search engines index your pages based on the keywords in your page title. Use keywords rich title and keep it interesting at the same time for your readers. The title appears in the search result.
Use heading tags to highlight main points and related sub-points.
Avoid keyword stuffing in content and keep the keyword density between 0.5 to 2%.
Find out a good meta description for your article. Never leave it blank. Insert keywords and content categories into the meta description.
Keep the focus on the topic / subject. Do not deviate with un-necessary keyword stuffing. It can confuse search engines and dilute your keyword you want to rank for.
Build a short URL which is user friendly and contains main keywords.
5. Site Speed
Website loading performance is counted over a period of time and if affects the website domain authority. With higher page speed, the search crawlers can crawl more and more pages resulting in more page indexing. This also reduce the chances of user leaving the page because the page is not loading and ultimately reduce bounce rate, which have a positive impact on website domain authority.
6. Mobile Friendly
Google has introduced the concept of Mobile index first. What it means is that it is not optional to have a responsive website but it is mandatory to have responsive website to rank well and command good domain authority. It makes your site reachable to more users and devices.
When content quality matters?
Imagine that there are two domains (DA and DB) that exist in the same niche and have similar topic pages. Then, the quality of content is what determines which one gets higher domain authority. So, we can say that content quality is also the determinant factor how fast you achieve high domain authority.
Getting high domain authority in a fail safe way is not difficult. You need to be hard working and follow search engine guidelines on content quality, regular updates, online SEO, offline SEO, technical SEO (posting XML sitemaps), Social media activities, link building and many more.
In Document References:Domain AuthorityHow To Get Quality Backlinks (Smart Backlink Strategies-2018)How To Earn Money From Website10 important tips to boost your SEO page ranking